Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa

If you would like to stay in Australia to gain work experience after completing your Australian qualification you may be eligible to apply for a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa. This visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to four years, depending on your qualifications.

The Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa has two streams:

  • Graduate Work stream—for eligible international students who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

  • Post-Study Work stream—for eligible international students who graduate with a bachelor, masters or doctoral degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study.

What sort of work can I do on this visa?

The subclass 485 visa does not restrict the type of work you may do or the number of hours you may work.


Do I need to find an employer to sponsor me for this visa?

Employer sponsorship is not required to obtain this visa. However, you are responsible for securing your own employment if you wish to work while in Australia on this visa.

What are the visa requirements?

  • At the time you apply for this visa you must:

  • be in Australia

  • be under 50 years of age

  • hold a valid visa

  • hold or have held an eligible Student visa in the last six months

  • have evidence of competent English

  • book or complete a medical examination

  • have adequate health insurance in place. This is required for the duration of the visa processing period and your stay in Australia on this visa

  • have requested a National Police Check from the Australian Federal Police


Additional visa requirements for Graduate Work stream

  • At the time you apply for this visa you must:

  • nominate an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).

  • have applied for a skills assessment in your nominated occupation

  • have met the Australian study requirement in the last six months. Any degree, diploma or trade qualification used to meet the Australian study requirement must be closely related to your nominated occupation.


Additional visa requirements for Post-Study Work stream

At the time you apply for this visa you must:

  • have applied for and subsequently been granted your first Student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011

  • have met the Australian study requirement in the last six months on the basis of bachelor, masters or doctoral degree studies completed at an eligible institution.


Visa processing times

For your visa application to be processed as quickly as possible, lodge your application online making sure you include all required information in your application. It also helps if you have the results of medical examinations, police checks, and English language tests, and, if required, skills assessment documentation ready when you first apply for the visa.

How long does this visa let me stay in Australia?

Graduate Work stream: 18 months

Post-Study Work stream

Bachelor Degree: 2 years
Bachelor Degree with Honours: 2 years
Masters by Coursework Degree: 2 years
Masters (extended) Degree: 2 years
Masters by Research Degree: 3 Years
Doctoral Degree: 4 Years

How much does it cost to apply for 485 Visa?

Visa application charge: It is the fee paid to the Department of Home Affairs at the time of application. It must be paid for at the time of 485 visa application. As of 01 July 2018, base application charge is $1535, additional applicant charge 18 years old and over is $765, and additional applicant charge under 18 years of age is $385.


Our base professional fees:

$585 +GST for all 485 Post-Study Work stream (Main applicant only)

$985 +GST for all 485 Graduate Work stream (Main applicant only)

Additional applicants included in the same application is $200 +GST

Other fees and charges: You may have to pay other costs health assessments and police certificates and translation costs. You will also need to maintain appropriate level of health cover for the duration of this visa.

Please note that these costs are indicative only and to know costs which may need to pay, contact our office to obtain a Fee Estimate.


Do I need private health insurance?

Yes! It is a condition of applying for a Visa Subclass 485 visa to make arrangements for a minimum level of health insurance. You can obtain a complaint insurance by clicking this link www.austhealth.com/join/custom?source=43711&type=W


Do I need Skills Assessment?

You only need skills assessment if you are applying under Graduate Work Stream. If you applied for, and were granted, your first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011 and you completed at atleast a AQF Bachelors degree, you don't need your qualification to on the MTSSL list (Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List).


Can I apply for this visa from overseas?

If you are applying as the main applicant, you and anybody else covered by the application must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when your visa is decided.


Family members who apply for this visa after the main applicant has been granted the visa may be in or outside Australia when they apply, but must not be in immigration clearance.


Will I need a Bridging Visa ?

Given the processing times, 485 visa applications are granted a bridging visa which permits work when they make their visa application. At the time you apply for 485 Visa you will be granted a Bridging Visa A, which does not allow you to come back to Australia if you travel overseas. If you want to travel overseas, while holding BVA, please obtain a Bridging Visa B.


Australian study requirement ?

All Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) applicants must satisfy the Australian study requirement in the six months immediately prior to making their application, regardless of the stream that they are assessed under.


Australian Study Requirement means you have completed one or more degrees, diplomas or trade qualifications for award by an Australian educational institution as a result of a course(s):

  1. that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

  2. for which all instruction was conducted in English

  3. that were completed as a result of total of at least two academic years (92 weeks) study

  4. that were completed in a total of at least 16 calendar months

  5. that have been undertaken while you were in Australia as the holder of a visa authorising you to study.


We make every effort to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and comprehensive. However, the information is only intended as a basic guide only, and does not address the complexities of particular circumstances. This information should not be relied upon to apply for a visa and you should seek independent advice about your individual circumstances.

Source: DIBP , some information on this website has been sourced from the DIBP website

© 2016 Good Earth Immigration Pty Ltd

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon